Sunday, April 01, 2007

An Open Letter to the Basketball Gods



Dear BGs,

The first sporting even I can remember watching was January 11, 1987. It was the AFC Championship game. The game included what you probably know as "the drive." I cried myself to sleep that night.

In the 20+ years that have followed that Sunday afternoon, I have witnessed disappointment after disappointment, after disappoinment. Save for a cold January Friday in 2003, there has not been very much sports-related happiness in my life.

Not only that, but I have never won a betting pool of any kind. Never really even come close.

Which brings me to this year. If you can find it in your hearts to smile on the Ohio State Buckeyes, dearest Baskeball Gods, then four things will be accomplished: First, and most obviously, my favorite college basketball team would win an improbable National Championship. Yes I know that they have been ranked #1 this season, including the week that immediately proceeded the tournament, but NO ONE is picking them to beat Florida in the title game. Second, it would shut up Florida and all their fans, who have become intolerable since winning the football championship. Third, I would win my office pool for the first time ever, and I love money. And fourth, and most importantly, it would vault me to the win in the just call me juice sports blogger's challenge, and allow me to spew my propaganda on a second website in the form of a guest post.

I know that I will probably never live to see a Browns super bowl win, or an Indians world series. I know that I have witnessed more sports heartache than any man should be forced to endure. But it would all be forgiven if one game goes my way. As you know, I do not ask you for much, and if this wish is fulfilled, I will never ask you for anything again*.

yours,

WCT




*(WCT reserves the right to ask the Basketball Gods for other favors in the future should it be should it be in my best interests. WCT also reserves the right to solicit the Football Gods, the Baseball Gods, the Hockey Gods, the Poker Gods, the Golf Gods, and the Picking-up-chicks-in-the-bars Gods)

1 comment:

The Big Picture said...

you just swayed my rooting interest tonight: go Buckeyes!